Hippocrates may have worked at a temple of Asclepius. He may have claimed direct descent from Asclepius. Or, he may have just been a healer, as “Asclepiad” could have many meanings.
The only thing we know for sure is that Hippocrates became a legend. The most reliable historical record that Hippocrates did in fact exist is the following conversation of Socrates and Phaedrus, as recorded by Plato: Continue reading “The real “Hippocratic” oath”
We all hear about primary responders in the news. When help is needed, the first responders are those who help first. They may be police officers, firefighters, in some cases soldiers, medical specialists, or even ordinary civilians who have some know how.
A blocked airway can kill you in only three minutes!
If you get a cut, better hope it’s on a vein, because if it’s an artery, and the blood comes out quickly, it only takes three minutes to bleed to death!
If you suffer a heart attack outside of a hospital, there is a 90 percent chance it will kill you. However, your chances increase if you get CPR within two minutes (and if the ambulance arrives within eight.)
Only 41 percent of people in the UK have the confidence to even try to save your life! Better hope the other 59% reach you within three minutes!
But scariest of all, if you’re like 80% of the population, you will need first aid sometime!
Dr Woods Hutchinson, a doctor and health writer, once calmly said that New York should be torn down and rebuilt in a manner “fit for human habitation.” According to the Columbus journal of Nebraska, he thought “the money for this purpose should be secured by confiscating the fortunes of millionaires as fast as they die.”
Not that the Columbus journal agreed with Dr Hutchinson, or the people who “know nothing, do nothing, [and] cheer themselves hoarse with his suggestion.”
One wonders if Dr Hutchinson were merely joking, and others merely laughing along with him. Then again, if you’ve ever been to certain parts of New York City, you might think he was being serious.
However, other stories show that people took the idea of dwellings being “fit for human habitation” very seriously. When landlord-politicians object to building codes that require homes to be “fit for human habitation,” you wonder whether these landlord-politicians know their history. Continue reading “What did “fit for human habitation” mean?”